EdD Advising Information
Being a successful doctoral student at the University of Southern California requires knowing and following many academic policies and procedures. Accomplishing certain tasks requires the use of necessary forms and contact with multiple campus offices.
The following forms are most commonly used during the pursuit of your Doctor of Education degree. Please contact your Academic Advisor about which form you may require or for guidance on completing any of the forms.
- Appeals Process
- Appointment or Change of Qualifying Exam or Dissertation Committee Form
Identifies individuals who will be serving on your dissertation committee. On the form, the post code for students in the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership program is 100 and the post code for students in the Ed.D. in Organizational Change and Leadership program is 1576. The major is EDUC for both doctoral programs. Please return this form to your Academic Advisor upon completion. Your Academic Advisor will obtain the Dean and Director signatures and keep the form until your dissertation is ready for upload.
- Change of EdD Dissertation Chair (pre-DOC): This form is used to request a change of Dissertation Committee Chair prior to your Qualifying Exam.
- Change of EdD Dissertation Chair (post-DOC): This form is used to request a change of Dissertation Committee Chair after to your Qualifying Exam.
- Dissertation Defense and Upload Guidelines
- Independent Dissertation Chair Application: For students who choose to conduct a traditional individual dissertation instead of participating in a Thematic Dissertation Group.
- EDUC 790 Directed Research Contract
This form is used for students who will be conducting Directed Independent Research with Rossier faculty.
- Leave of Absence Request
Required for any semester in which you will not be registered, to ensure that continuous enrollment is not broken.
- Course Substitution Request
This form is used to request course substitutions for catalog requirements.
- Outside Member Approval Form
If the third member of your dissertation committee is not a USC faculty member, please contact your Academic Advisor to see if the person has previously been approved to serve as a third member. If not, you will need to secure approval for your outside member using this form.
- Permit to Enroll in EDUC 721: Leadership for Superintendents
- Permit to Enroll in 790 – Dissertation Research Seminar
- Permit to Enroll in EDUC 792 Critique of Research (to be completed by Independent Dissertation Chairs)
- Permit to Enroll in 791 (please confirm your enrollment with your Academic Advisor before completing the 791, 794b-d, or the 794z permit to enroll forms).
- Permit to Enroll in 794b-d
- Permit to Enroll 794z
- Program Layout for the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership
- Qualifying Exam Guidelines
- Qualifying Exam Report for the EdD in Educational Leadership
This form is to be completed by your committee at the Qualifying Exam. This form also serves as a permit to enroll in EDUC 794a or EDUC 794a and EDUC 794b concurrently. If you have any questions regarding enrollment, please connect with your Academic Advisor.
- Qualifying Exam Report for the EdD in Organizational Change and Leadership
This form is to be completed by your committee at the Qualifying Exam.
- Thematic Dissertation Group Timeline for students
These will provide important instructions and information about how to complete specific procedures successfully as you pursue your Doctor of Education degree. Please contact your Academic Advisor for guidance on the recordings.
- Thesis Center Profile Tutorial for Dissertation Upload
Instructions on how to create a profile in Thesis Center (the Graduate School’s dissertation online processing website) in order to upload your dissertation.
Archived Ed.D. Program Office Recordings:
- Qualifying Exam Online Information Session for the Cohort of 2012 (August 18, 2014):
Information Session that goes over the process and procedures in preparing for your Qualifying Exam and Dissertation Proposal.
- APA Style Academic Writing:
Why do we write in APA Style? Learn about this type of scientific academic writing.
- Critical Reading and Literature Review Presentation:
Learn what we mean when we say “synthesize the literature on your course paper topic or research focus” as part of your literature review.
- Doctoral Support Center Dissertation Conference Information Session for the Cohort of 2013 (April 21, 2014):
Information Session that informs you the services and resources that the Doctoral Support Center can provide you as you prepare for the Thematic Dissertation Conference.
- EdD Program Office Twitter: https://twitter.com/USCEdDProgram
- EdD Program Office/DSC blog: http://dsc-usc.typepad.com/usc-doctoral-support-center-blog/
- The Doctoral Support Center Webpage: https://rossierstudents.usc.edu/doctoral/doctoral-support-center/